Wednesday, April 24, 2013

WIP Wednesday: the one with lots of stuff

I swear my titles are getting worse!

Finished

Sydney Modern Quilt Guild - The Rainbow Connection!

Based off Tacha Bruecher's 'Over The Rainbow' quilt in her 2012 book 'Hexa-Go-Go', this was collectively made by a dedicated dozen or so members of the Sydney Modern Quilt Guild, put together by Guild President Penny Poppleton, and quilted by me!

It's big. Very, very big. And beautiful!

Sydmqg group quilt finished!

It's due to go into the Quilt Show at the Sydney Quilt And Craft Fair later this year, and afterwards will be sold and the money donated to a women's shelter organisation, for women escaping untenable domestic situations.

I have a more detailed post here. The Sydney Modern Quilt Guild has an update post about it here.

Harvest Windows

(I finally thought of a name for this!)

For my aunt and uncle on my father's side who've been very good to my sisters and I over the years. Very traditional, richer, darker colours, and I really hope they like it. :/

Aunty Quilt top done!

And the back:

Aunty Quilt backing

Ready to be sent off for quilting!

Fuller post here.

WIPs

Baby Quilts

Baby quilts

I've been a bit busy to get on with these. And I'm deciding whether to do backs in the cotton I usually use, or some flannel which I have, which is wonderfully soft.

Quilt backings

Needed for:

  1. California Girl
  2. Santorini Sun and Sky
  3. Honey Honey
  4. HST Harvest

Some new photography of these in early morning light:

California Girl:

California girl

Honey Honey:Honey honey

If I get at least a couple done I can send them off to Jo for quilting.

Diamonds Dancing In Rainbows

Diamonds and Jewel tones

I haven't touched this since I put it up on the design board. Really need to get a move on with it!

To Do

Scrap Attack {String Fever}

This is going to happen. IT IS GOING TO HAPPEN.

It is Going To Happen because the other night I pulled out my big box of string scraps...and my little box of string scraps...and my small cloth baskets of string scraps...and my plastic trays of string scraps...

And realised just how many I'd collected over the last four years of quilting.

My plan so far:

  1. sort strings into selvedges/non-selvedges
  2. sort selvedges into neutrals/colours
  3. sort colours into warms/cools
  4. sort warms/cools into specific colour groups
  5. ...

After that I'm not 100% on exactly how this is going to work!

BUT IT WILL!

Gift Quilts
Alli: red, white/neutrals/low-vol, blue - American patriot theme - possibly Sisters Ten BOM? Alt: "low volume" quilt?
Jo & Amy: Valley of the Kings - design not yet certain. It's a hard fabric line to design for!

Valley of the kings

Ideas for future

  • 1:3:2 in A:B:A fabrics
  • broken dishes (in Cuzco or Terrain?)
  • "low volume" quilt

Anyway, that's me! How about you? What have you been doing this week?

16 comments:

  1. Wow, you have a lot of quilts on the go. I love the Harvest Windows one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha my thoughts exactly re how much you have going on! Not that I am one to talk (ahem-start-too-many-things-to-finish). Love the two rainbow projects -- especially the dancing diamonds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course that Rainbow quilt caught my eye--and why not? It's beautiful. And big!

    I was impressed with all the projects that you have going on in your quilting life--from designing new ones, to finishing up old ones, and they are all lovely to look at.

    I understand what you mean about ornate fabrics being hard to design for. I'd purchased some similar to that about a decade ago, and finally gave up on them, giving the fabrics to a friend. So, bravo to you!

    Elizabeth E.
    opquilt.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your guide quilt looks fantastic! I love the vibrant colors of the diamond one! I am in love with solids lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Diamond Dancing in Rainbows is gorgeous!! And that guild one that you quilted is just stunning...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you are a busy bee! Love the colours you are working with!
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  7. The guild hexagon quilt is amazing. I've slowly started on that quilt myself but only have one square done.

    Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen a rainbow quilt I didn't like and these continue the trend! Stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you're busy! Love that rainbow quilt and your Honey Honey top. Great fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice! I love the rainbow connection quilt - so amazing. I can't wait to see what you do with the valley of kings fabric. I really like the fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work! I love your aesthetic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such beautiful work!! You are crazy talented!!! :) Thanks for sharing your inspiring creations with us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've got some beautiful projects going on. I love that rainbow connection! Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Man you have your work cut out! So many beautiful projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many amazing projects on the go! I love them all but that Honey Honey quilt top just calls to me. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The hexagon quilt is fantastic = one day I'll make one of these! Good luck raising the money for a good cause!

    ReplyDelete

I try to answer every comment made, but if I forget to respond to you, I sincerely apologise! Thanks so much for coming by and commenting!