Wednesday, February 12, 2014

WIP Wednesday: the one with not enough of anything...


Only a moderately productive week, alas!

WIP

Shattered Star Quilt

Still going! But it's all starting to come together now!

shattered star

There's been a lot of counting in the last ten days. How many HSTs do I have? How many HSTs do I need? Do I have more of the correct fabric? What if I don't?

shattered star

(I didn't have enough HSTs, I needed to create about 30 more - that was my use-of-fat-quarters, and my lack-of-counting-blocks, not a pattern issue!)

Anyway, one quarter of the center top done - three to go!

The Shattered Star - all starting to come together... #quilt

And the borders - let's not forget the borders!

Simone's Baby Things Bag

I started cutting, realised the front pocket would cover the lovely Echino pattern I'm using - Wish Birds in Purple - and so dumped the front pocket. And then I ran out of interfacing and had to find time to get some more. Newsflash: I work 8-5 and can't easily get to a shop that stays open later than 5pm.

But I will get it done! I will! I must!

(Still) To Do:
Sydney MQG: Pickle Dish group quilt

Sydney Quilt Show Quilt: AUUUUUGH! I need to have something laid out for the submission by the end of March! WHERE ON EARTH AM I GOING TO FIND THE TIME?

I did sketch out some designs during the week while bored at work, though. Don't know if I actually like them. But I'm deliberately focusing on entering a Modern Quilt this year - which, to me, means a traditional pattern, with modern influences of negative space, solids, and patterning. I'd really like to include ombre in the colour themes, too.

I feel like I need to print out a bunch of tiny little block patterns and then play 'put them together in pretty patterns'. Which probably isn't such a bad idea...

I hope your week has been less frantic and more productive than mine!

10 comments:

  1. Your fabrics look Kind of oriantal - like that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the "Ooh La La" collection by Pillow and Maxfield, for Michael Miller fabrics - very bright, very floral. And lots of people seem to like the colours!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. The quilt pattern is by Penny Poppleton - she asked me to pattern test it for her, so I've been doing that! :)

      The fabric is "Ooh La La" by Pillow and Maxfield for Michael Miller fabrics, and I got a complete FQ set for it, and some yardage to back it... Works pretty well!

      Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  3. Wow interesting how that large scale fabric worked in. Love the design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm still not convinced about the fabric choices... We'll see when the full deisgn is all together.

      But the quilt pattern itself is one designed by Penny Poppleton, who asked me to pattern test for her. :)

      Delete
  4. Love the blue with the other colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blue really sticks out, and made me wish I'd used more blue for the HSTs!

      Thanks!

      Delete
  5. I love your fabric choices for your Shattered Star blocks. Linda NZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's "Ooh La La" by Pillow and Maxfield for Michael Miller fabrics - lovely bright colours, which is why I got it in the first place...

      Delete

I try to answer every comment made, but if I forget to respond to you, I sincerely apologise! Thanks so much for coming by and commenting!