Saturday, January 10, 2015

Quilter Blog Swap: meet Kwilty Pleasures!

Meet Kathy of Kwilty Pleasures, where "traditional collides with modern and Kwilty Pleasures happen!"

blogpostswap-kwiltypleasures

Website/Blog: Kwilty Pleasures
Store: Kwilty Pleasures @ Etsy
Instagram: http://instagram.com/kwiltypleasures/
Facebook: Kathy Gordon
Pinterest: kwiltypleasures
Flickr: Kwilty Pleasures

1. How did you come to be a quilter?

My first exposure to kwilting was thru my Mom. She hand pieced utilitarian kwilts for all her kids, grandkids and great grand kids. Blankets served as batting and sheets for the back. There was no pattern...just scrappy strips. She used clothing or whatever fabric she could find. I never knew as I watched her kwilt...that one day I would become a kwilter.

In the early 90s, at work, I found out about a quilting group who met at lunchtime. A class was offered-to make a sampler block kwilt. The teacher came in once a week and “showed us” the block, talk about how to make it, then we made the blocks at home. We cut out plastic templates (no rotary cutters) and used handwritten instructions. I bought the cheapest fabric I could find in case I messed it up. I had no clue about batting or quilting. It is kwilted with a “sad” stitch in the ditch attempt. The backing served as my binding...folding it over the front. When it was done...I thought it was beautiful...today I think it is gawd-awful ugly!

I will always keep this kwilt in my sewing room to remind me of how far I have come in my journey.

kwilty-First Quilt

2. What is it that you love about being a quilter?

Today the fabric speaks to my kwilty creative soul. I used to buy the pattern – then select fabric...Now I love the freedom to just buy fabric (can you say stash slut) with no pattern in mind. I never know what I will make until the fabric tells me what it wants to be.

3. What are you most proud of from your quilting experience?

After my Mom passed away in 2006, I was sorting thru her clothes and found a box of 1950s house dresses. Memories flooded my head and I could see her wearing them. I knew immediately I wanted to use them in a kwilt. The process in making this kwilt helped me grieve my loss and allowed the healing to begin.

The 2014 National Quilting Association (NQA) show in Columbus, OH had a “recycle” category. Sew..I entered “Housedressings”. Seeing my mom’s house dress kwilt, hanging in a “national quilt show” was my proudest moment. I cried like a little girl...right there in isle. I know Mom is also proud of me for making the kwilt, but I also know she is mad as hell that I cut up her clothes!

kwilty-House Dressings

4. What’s the one piece of advice about quilting that all new quilters should know

DO NOT limit the learning experience to what is “trending” at the moment. Be open to ALL styles of kwilting. Talk to all ages of kwilters...ask them questions about their journey. There is more to learn than what a class or blog tutorial will teach you. Find you own stlye and allow your style to change and grow.

5. Who’s the quilter(s) that inspire you at the moment?

This is a tough one and very hard to choose just one. I may like a pattern one kwilter has designed, a tutorial another has shared, love how another FMQs! I don’t like everything that trends in the modern world...but I find enough to keep me inspired!

6. What quilting challenges would you like to conquer in the next 12 months?

I need to work on blocks and techniques that intimidate me. I bought the Modern Building Blocks pattern to make a kwilt using fabric I love. I need to practice my FMQ on my Bernina, using more designs in negative space. I am currently watching Jackie Gehrig’s Craftsy class for inspiration.

7. What’s your 3 favourite quilts that you’ve made that reflect who you are as a quilter?

“Wonky Crosses” made with Zen Chic “COMMA
Entered in the first ever “modern category” of the 2014 NQA Show:

kwilty-Wonky Crosses

I ran a Mystery Kwilt project for a guild using a free on-line syllabus called
“Cat’s Meow”.

.

And I absolutely luv my GHASTLIES kwilts. Although I have made many...most have been custom orders.

Here are three that represent my works.

kwilty-Ghastlies Green Portraits< .

.

8. If you weren’t a quilter, what other creative endeavour would you like to master?

I would be getting my hands dirty in my gardens, creating more and more beautiful flower borders with vibrant colors. This is my second love.

9. What is your favourite kind of pie?

Dutch apple pie with ice cream

10. What holidays, traditions or religious occasions do you celebrate in your family at this time of year?

December brings lots of fun to my home. I celebrate my wedding anniversary and Christmas. Although I don’t have any “set traditions” I spend as much time as possible with family and friends.

I enjoy decorating my home. 2012 blog series called “12 Days of Decking my Halls

I enjoy baking Christmas Cookies. 2014 blog series called “Sweet Sensations” sharing my favorite recipes

11. Do you listen to music, watch television or prefer the hum of the sewing machine when you sew?

I watch TV, movies or DVDs for Criminal Minds and House!

12. What are your favourite types of blog posts to read?

Short and sweet and to the point. I love a good tutorial, great photos of projects, a good sense of humor, appreciate those who respond to comments and really enjoy blogs that make me feel like a friend. I am a sucker for swaps and for blog hops both reading and participating...so if you are having a hop and need someone to participate and make something...let me know!

13. How important to you is learning a craft? How do you think we can keep the craft alive?

If one has a passion for a craft...they will continue to learn and grow that craft. Kwilting has been alive for as long as one could hold a needle and thread. It may change thru genre, age, style, designs “and” gender..but kwilting is here to stay.

14. If you had to pick any designer to sit down and chat or work with for the day who would it be and why?

Alexander Henry. His quirky style and fabric designs speak to me. I would really like to talk about the Ghastlies fabrics...how he came up with the collection and why in the world he has stopped making them! Eeeekkkkkk!

15. What’s your favourite colour combination to work with and why?

I enjoy working with gray as my neutral and combining it with many colors that just work so great with it...yellow, turquoise, teal, red, white, orange...

16. Do you have any quilting goals for 2015, what are they?

2015 is my year to do some selfish sewing. I have an unbelievable amount of Ghastlies fabric and will be using as much of it as possible. I will be keeping these kwilts for my collection and perhaps offer some fun trunk shows for guilds!

17. Do you prewash your quilting fabrics?

NEVER! (in 20 + years)

18. What’s the best quilting tip you ever got?

Someone once told me to get straitghter cuts when rotary cutting...cut on the side of the mat without the lines. Use the ruler lines to line up the cutting...it works. I wrote a tutorial called “Flip Side Rotary Cutting

19. Do you have any favourite tools that you love to use?

I love my Bernina Aurora 440 machine with the Stitch Regulator for FMQ. Of course who can live without rotary cutters, rulers and seam rippers.

20. What are you hoping the festive season will bring for you?

Time with family and friends and if I’m lucky a gift certificate for fabric.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I try to answer every comment made, but if I forget to respond to you, I sincerely apologise! Thanks so much for coming by and commenting!